Excellence in Historic Preservation Award - Preservation League of New York State
Preservation Merit Award - Historic Albany Foundation
First completed in 1915, the Albany County Courthouse was recognized immediately as a landmark in civic architecture. The process of renovation and historical restoration delivered the building back to to its former glory as a center of Albany County justice and pride.
The recent renovation transformed the aging courtrooms of the last century into comfortable, modern and effective judicial settings to meet the current and future needs of the judges, staff and public.
The project carefully balanced a constrained public budget with regulatory compliance requirements for the Office of Court Administration, life safety and accessibility within the historic architectural context. Mechanical and electrical systems were completely replaced as was the building’s roof. The work was been accomplished in phases maintaining the courts in session.
The Project involved approximately 150,000 sf on six levels with a budget of $34,000,000