Interior Renovations and Restoration - Albany County Courthouse
Interior Renovations and Restoration
Albany County Courthouse
Excellence in Historic Preservation Award - Preservation League of New York State
Preservation Merit Award - Historic Albany Foundation
First completed in 1915, the Albany County Courthouse was recognized immediately as a landmark in civic architecture. Now this National Register Landmark building has undergone a major process of renovation and was historically restored to its former glory as a center of Albany County justice and pride.
The project transformed the aging courtrooms of the last century into comfortable, modern and effective judicial settings to meet the current and future needs of the judges, staff and public. Though modernizing the courthouse was fundamental, the county also wanted to ensure historic preservation of the building including roof restoration of the ornate copper fascia, window refurbishment, stone façade restoration and interior reconstruction with preservation of major public areas and historic courtrooms.
The project carefully balanced a constrained public budget with regulatory compliance requirements for the Office of Court Administration, life safety and accessibility within the historic architectural context. Mechanical and electrical systems were completely replaced as was the building’s roof system. The work was accomplished in phases, while maintaining the courts in session.
In addition to the modernization and restoration of the County Courtroom and Assembly room for County Legislature, we conducted extensive space planning for Judicial Chambers, County Clerk, County Legislature, Board of Elections, Commissioner of Jurors, Bar Association and Sheriff and District Attorney’s offices. The work also involved public spaces and rest rooms.
The construction was conducted in phases to accommodate continued occupancy of offices and courts.